Re: Possible Transition from SVN to Git?

On 1/8/08, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw this thread since it started, but I didn't had the time to
> answer. Now i have time to throw in my 2 cents.
>
> > 1) Someone has to explain briefly but clearly, preferably in a wiki
> > page, the minimal steps how to obtain the latest sources from the
> > repository and how to upload modifications to them, so that it won't
> > be a problem for newbies to join the team. I myself don't know much
> > about handling stuff in git or bzr either.
>
> That is a must.

The following page is informative:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html

> mr might wrap up nicely the two/more vcs-es, but note that we don't
> have mr-buildpackage and, generally, *-buildpackage utilities have
> different behaviours and interfaces, and one needs to learn each one
> individually.

I don't actually know what mr is, and I haven't been able to find it
anywhere, so perhaps someone can explain what it is?

It seems to me that it would be better in the long term to abstract
out whatever is common in the -buildpackage utilities into one
frontend, with backend implementations for each VCS.

The biggest practical advantage that I can see with using git for
packaging would be that people might commit more often, leading to
more fine-grained changesets.  I'm guessing branches don't need to
happen often here, so it doesn't seem very compelling to put a lot of
effort into switching, even though I personally would pick git over
svn in general.