Re: Why quilt instead of dpatch?

Hi,

At the beginning, we decided that it would be nice to standardize the tools we used for the packages handled by the games team, so that we could work in the most possible cooperative way. We still have the wiki page about it at http://wiki.debian.org/Games/ToolsDiscuss

I'm pretty sure I don't have to extend myself in the advantages of doing stuff in the most similar way for all the packages, at least if we want to work as a team. The discussion was then on what exact tools would be the best to set as standard on average for the whole group. All of us had different opinions on different aspects, some defended debhelper, some others cdbs, some went for dpatch, quilt, and some of us defended not using any packaging system at all and let se versioning system do that stuff for us.

At last, we had to reach a compromise between the points of view of all the members of the team. No one imposed their views over the others, and all of us had to accept others points of view, and I'm proud of the way the discussion went and the results. You might not agree with them fully, you might try to explain some reasons on why we should use a different tool (for example, some people have suggested me that we might switch to bazaar instead of subversion), and the team as a whole might decide wether it's worth doing a transition on that tool or not.

This is a team, we must learn how to cooperate and work with other people, even when we might think that our own decisions are of course the best ones, that's what this is all about. Please, try to be asertive and positive, and do constructive criticism.

The conclusions we reached at the time of the discussion were:

1. Use Debhelper, avoid CDBS.
2. Use a patching system, preferably quilt but dpatch is also acceptable.
3. Every modification to the orig file should be contained in the debian/ directory.
4. Only the debian/ directory should be stored in the SVN system.
5. Original tarballs should go to [WWW] http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/tarballs/

Greetings,
Miry