Re: Homepage field in debian/control

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:58:43PM +0300, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/08/msg00821.html>
> >
> >  It might be reasonable to not remove the Homepage from the description
> > yet, if you prefer, before that new dpkg is released and dpkg-gencontrol
> > able to extract it - but there is no reason to not put it in there yet.
>
> I guess so. Also this would provide *some* backward compatibility with etch.

 Yes, as etchs dpkg doesn't support it and never will.  I might have
reacted early with removing the fields from the wesnoth description, but
that's only me.

> Does dpkg ignore an unknown field? I am thinking how will this affect
> backporting by directly compiling a sid source package on etch.

 dpkg-source complains about the unknown field (but nothing more), and I
haven't yet tried installing a .deb that has that field in its control
file set with a dpkg that doesn't support it, but I'm confident it won't
puke on your shoes, I learned dpkg to be extremely robust and closely
following the thing every software should:

"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."
        -- Jon Postel

 So long,
Rhonda