Re: prboom review

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 11:56 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> >       * The part of README.Debian about the source package isn't really
> >         relevant to end users, best move that to README.Source or
> >         something
>
> I have no strong opinion on where it goes, but I do think it's a good
> idea to document this in the package somewhere. I've moved it to
> README.source, which apt-file shows exists in six packages (whereas it
> cannot find any README.Source files).

IIRC, README.Source is only supposed to exist in the diff.gz, not in
any .deb files, which is why I suggest moving the info there.

> >       * I don't see any .desktop file in the package, might be nice for
> >         GNOME/KDE users if you added one (and there is a proposal for
> >         the Debian menu to have .desktop files as the source instead of
> >         menu files)
>
> I think that it would be a good idea to have a .desktop file eventually,
> although I'd like to see the dust settle on the new menu policy and
> potential transitions happening. Also providing an icon would be good
> but I don't fancy uuencoding one into the diff.gz right now (and it
> would have to be derived from the freedoom sprites, or something).

Yeah, probably a good idea, although I'm doubtful of anything happening
as a result of that thread/discussion.

> >       * I notice the -ffast-math option to GCC being used, for me, that
> >         option caused floating point exceptions on alpha for another
> >         package. I got some comments at the time[1][2].
>
> This seems to be something upstream have explicitly requested in their
> autoconf gubbins. I'll have to try disabling it and comparing the
> resulting binary to one with it on (although I doubt I'll spot any
> differences). Do you get floating point exceptions on alpha with the
> prboom package?

I don't have a local alpha machine, I just got them with packages I help
maintain (synfig/synfigstudio). I think vorlon has local machines he
might be able to playtest on, you might be able to convince him to try
and kill a few daemons :)

> Thank you very much for the review!

No probs :)

--