Re: prboom review

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:12:19PM +1000, Paul Wise wrote:
> A review of the prboom 2.4.7+dfsg-2 package on mentors.debian.net;

Thanks. I couldn't see any other addressed recipients, so I've CCed
debian-devel-games.

>       * The part of README.Debian about the source package isn't really
>         relevant to end users, best move that to README.Source or
>         something

I have no strong opinion on where it goes, but I do think it's a good
idea to document this in the package somewhere. I've moved it to
README.source, which apt-file shows exists in six packages (whereas it
cannot find any README.Source files).

For d-d-g, the section explained how the source package is maintained
and how to go about checking it out.

>       * I don't see any .desktop file in the package, might be nice for
>         GNOME/KDE users if you added one (and there is a proposal for
>         the Debian menu to have .desktop files as the source instead of
>         menu files)

I think that it would be a good idea to have a .desktop file eventually,
although I'd like to see the dust settle on the new menu policy and
potential transitions happening. Also providing an icon would be good
but I don't fancy uuencoding one into the diff.gz right now (and it
would have to be derived from the freedoom sprites, or something).

I might persue adding an icon to upstream.

>       * debian/rules: the check for nostrip isn't needed, dh_strip
>         checks for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS itself IIRC

Fixed

>       * debian/rules: you can use DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp instead
>         of running pwd (and $(shell ...) is preferred to backticks)

Fixed

>       * there are quite a few signedness warnings and other scary
>         warnings when building the code, does upstream know about these?

Yup. The code is pretty hairy, but they have a light-touch approach as
there are various sensitive timing issues for demo replay etc. that are
easy to break. Most new gcc revisions throw up a hole bunch more
warnings to fix.

>       * did you ask upstream to rename the manual page for prboom.cfg?

I personally haven't, no. The conflict will go away soon as lxdoom has
been orphaned and with any luck will be removed from the archive[1].
prboom is a decendent of lxdoom which is why they use the same filename.

>       * I notice the -ffast-math option to GCC being used, for me, that
>         option caused floating point exceptions on alpha for another
>         package. I got some comments at the time[1][2].

This seems to be something upstream have explicitly requested in their
autoconf gubbins. I'll have to try disabling it and comparing the
resulting binary to one with it on (although I doubt I'll spot any
differences). Do you get floating point exceptions on alpha with the
prboom package?

>       * lintian warnings; UNRELEASED in changelog,

That's pretty shoddy of me, sorry. It looks like I only ran
lintian/linda over the resulting .deb, which doesn't flag those up for
me.

>          ignoring make clean errors

That's something we've inherited in the package. I'll look into removing
that.

Thank you very much for the review!

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2007/08/msg00063.html

--