Re: Proposal: Fixing non-free content issues via installer packages

At 1154008671 past the epoch, Goneri Le Bouder wrote:
> I'm not fan of make-jpkg since you have to downlad the
> tarball yourself first...

That is a disadvantage, yes, but one imposed by Java's
licence which prevented anyone else distributing the runtime
or jdk packages (which has changed recently, I'm not sure if
java is in non-free now).

> ...and install useless dependency.

Do you mean fakeroot and dpkg-buildpackage etc. in Depends:
for users?

> A prefere a script that find a valid mirror with netselect
> and then download the tarball, apply rules on it and
> extract its content in /usr/share/games/pkgname/

That's definitely a good idea where possible but not an
option for commercial data e.g. the doom IWAD file, Quake
pak files. In this case pulling it from local
CD-ROM/floppies/filesystem is necessary.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/