Re: r1182 - non-free/packages/tags/oolite/1.65-1/debian

On 26/07/06, Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> wrote:
[ moving to -deve-games; dicsussing general stuff not that comitt ]

Hi!

* Eddy Petri??or <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> [060726 12:09]:

> >Alexander, why did you changed the path?
[..]
> >shows this as a correct one, or am I missing something?
[..]
> oops, was looking in stable

I might be a wrong impression, but recently I got some request (not only
from eddy), to upload packages, which don't build at all.  Sometimes
with quite trivial mistakes, which could have been easily spoted.
Sorry, in my case there were two reasons behind it:
1) the older package did compile fine, but the new version dropped
some dependencies and they changed a lot the source package layout
(still I am surprised that the included GNUstep setup for GNUmakefiles
changed location, because I did svn-buildpackaged it, the package in
tarballs/oolite* are a proof of that; this was done in pbuilder
(probably was an outdated pbuilder and pbuilder took packages from the
pbuilder cache); this was done in apbuildr login environment started a
few days ago (thanks to the sleep abilities of my laptop this is
possible)
2) I will move to Bucharest next week and don't know when I'll be able
to work on oolite again, so I was in a hurry

I did my request under these circumstances, I hope I didn't upset you.

I don't know why, but it is quite easy to test, if a package builds
cleanly using pbuilder, but somehow you don't see to do it.  May I ask
why?
Maybe convenience. Let me explain:
- one can use pbuilder login to have a clen environment, but that
requires root login (until I added "pbuider session" to konsole I used
my unstable environment - clearly poluted).
- pbuider can build in chroot, but one needs a source package (with
dsc, diff and orig), but we work with the unpacked sources; just found
out that pdebuilder should be used (but this is not integrated with
svn-buildpackage :-/ ) so you end up in a kind of blocked situation..

So... we have an irc channel, we could try to organize an online
turorial about that? (Could be coupled with an svn turorial?)  Or should
I just create a wiki page for that?
I think an irc tutorial is a lot better; I can help with the SVN part.

EddyP