Re: RFS: Getting gtkradiant into debian

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 11:37, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> * Frits Daalmans <fritsd@wanadoo.nl> [060724 00:07]:
> > I've packaged the quake editor gtkradiant (it's on mentors.debian.net)
> > it's now linda and lintian clean and works when compiled in a
> > pbuilder (all build-deps OK, builds with g++-4.1 etc. and I fixed a
> > few simple bugs).
>
> [..]
>
> > PS with gtkradiant it's possible to make working nexuiz maps as well,
> > I found out :-)
>
> I just took a look on your package, and I have some questions / remarks
> left, before I'll upload it.

First of all let me thank you for your many questions; I'll try to
answer them all.

> 1. If I understood the homepage corectly, the version 1.5 you packaged
>    is considered to be at a beta state, right?
>    Do you know when the stable version 1.5 will be released?
>    Do you think, that the beta version is fit to be released within a
>    stable Debian released?
>    And... if it's a beta and no real 1.5.0, shouldn't it be mentioned in
>    the version string? (How does upstream handle that?)
This is what was said on http://www.qeradiant.com:
"GtkRadiant 1.5.0 beta - build 03-02  March 2nd 04:50:33 PM 2006 - Updated by
[ SPoG ]

To celebrate the release of GtkRadiant under the GPL, here's the latest beta
build of GtkRadiant 1.5.0. There have been many improvements made since the
last build more than a year ago, making this build a worthy replacement for
1.4.x. If all goes well with this build, 1.5.0 will be declared stable. Many
thanks to all the contributors over the last year.
"

From this I conclude that 1.5.0 is stable enough :-) because there
is plenty of traffic on gtkradiant's bug tracking mailinglist, i.e.
it has been actively improved since march 2006 AFAIK.

I don't know what the correct version name for Debian would be
in a case like this; what I could do is change the minor
version number from gtkradiant-1.5.0-5 to
gtkradiant-1.5.0-svn20060624-5 or gtkradiant-1.5.0-svn85-5,
in accordance with the naming I sometimes see for CVS builds.
I couldn't find anything about this in the policy guide.

> 2. Is there any reason, why your package is not yet in our svn
>    repository?
I didn't know I had upload permission :-)
what's the URL? is it svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-games?

> 3. You explicitly build-depend on a specific compilter version (g++-4.1,
>    seems to have come with 1.5.0-4), but nothing in your debian/rules
>    shows anything to use the non-default g++... (and actually
>    build-depending an g++-4.1 is useless anyway, since it is the default
>    compiler)
This was a misunderstanding on my part; corrected in 1.5.0-5
I had installed a pbuilder set to distribution "etch" instead of "unstable"
and had gotten a comment that version 1.5.0-4 didnt work with
the more strict g++-4.1
so I thought the idea was to force it to compile for g++-4.1;
now I understand that new packages always go in unstable and
therefore should be buildable with the current state of unstable.

> 4. Your copyright contains "GPL: ( except some files contributed by Loki
>    Software under BSD license )".  That's a no go.  Please be more
>    specific here:  Which files are GPL, which are LGPL, whiche are under
>    a "modified BSD" license?  And modified in which way?
>
>    And your "Copyright Holder: Id Software, Inc. and contributors" is
>    wrong.  Even if you would add the years and point to the CONTRIBUTORS
>    file, it would still be uncomplete.  One example I found
>    radiant/plugin.h: Copyright (C) 2001-2006, William Joseph.
>
>    Yeah, creating a proper copyright file sucks and isn't fun at all.
>    Especially if you have such a mixed license tarball.  But it is
>    important.
>
>    If you install a package, and look at the copyright, you must be able
>    to know exactly what you are allowed to do, and what you can't do.
>
>    There are two mails (one from the ftp-masters, who would have
>    rejected that package because of the copyright even if I would have
>    uploaded it), which explain this issue IMHO very well:
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/12/msg00007.html
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

Thanks for the clarification; I'll have to work on this, and will reply
when I've got an updated copyright file.

> 5. You install gen.readme... uhm... did you took a look at it?  Is it
>    worth to be installed and read by users of the binary package?  Same
>    for COMPILING (and probably README.doxygen?)
:-) ok... It's nice that dh_make creates the docs file but I now understand
that I'd better also review it.. oops..

> 6. I think your debian/README.debian couls be tweaked, too.  For example
>    the "How I packaged it" paragraph isn't needed at all (for the users).
O.K. Should I keep the "Tips" section though?

>    Remark:  Do you know "svn export .../foo"?  Wouldn't that be easier
>    than checkout and delete svn-stuff?
Yes, it would be; I didn't think about it. I kept it like this:
- working copy of original upstream svn repository (easer to update
than an export)
- debianized working copy in my own personal svn repository
for my packaging attempts

> 7. I'm confused... You mention gtkradiant-data-q4pack in README.debian
>    and as recommends, but that package is unknown to the archive.  Do
>    you plan to get it in there, too?
>
> 8. Similar for gtkradiant-doc.  Mentioned, but not found.

Yes; I made three more packages, gtkradiant-doc (tutorial website)
gtkradiant-data-q4pack and gtkradiant-data-nexuizpack, but these
didn't have any useful copyright information (that I could find).
So, I sent a polite e-mail to Id software asking for permission to
redistribute them. But I haven't got a reply yet.
Do you think I should have e-mailed some kind of request for help
to debian-legal, on how to proceed with this??

> 9. If you can edit Nexuiz maps with it, why don't you mention it in the
>    package description?  Nexuiz *is* part of Debian, Quake 4 and Doom 3
>    are not.  You might even want to consider to set an "Enhances:
>    nexuiz".
I only found out about Nexuiz afterwards :-)
If I understand correctly, it also can be used to edit Quake 1 and 2,
DarkPlaces, Doom 3, Heretic 2, and I found several gigabytes  of data
for games I don't remember the names of.
but apparently they've changed the access permissions
to https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant-gamepacks recently
because I can't get in anymore :-(

Possibly (speculation) this is because some of these game-packs
contain only configuration files, but others contain gigabytes of
textures and are probably not really meant for distribution.

> 10. Even if you state in your changelog, that it buils in bpuilder it
>     doesn't for me on my powerpc notebook:
>
> =====
> dh_installdirs
>         install -d debian/gtkradiant
>         install -d debian/gtkradiant/usr/games
> debian/gtkradiant/usr/lib/games/gtkradiant
> debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant # Add here commands to install
> the package into debian/gtkradiant. # /usr/bin/make install
> DESTDIR=/tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant mkdir -p
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/ # mv
> install
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant
> mkdir -p
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/g
>l cp setup/data/tools/gl/*
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/g
>l/ mkdir -p
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/b
>itmaps cp setup/data/tools/bitmaps/*
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/b
>itmaps/ mv install/q3data.x86
> /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/games/q3data mv: cannot
> stat `install/q3data.x86': No such file or directory
> make: *** [install] Error 1
> pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
>  -> Aborting with an error
>  -> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
>  -> unmounting proc filesystem
>  -> cleaning the build env
>     -> removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//7131 and its
> subdirectories =====
You've got me there :-) I haven't ever worked with scons before.
The SConstruct script contains the string
g_cpu = 'x86'
so which should I do?
- change the debian control file for now so that it only attempts
to build for i386 architecture, and hope for eager scons-using
debianistas with various hardware,
OR
- try to see how to export the g_cpu variable so debian/rules
picks it up..
I'll see.

> 11. Bonus points for adding some usefull comments to your debian/rules ;)
At least I did something right :-)

> Yours sincerely,
>   Alexander
Thank you very much, this was very helpful. I'll report back when
I have time to make gtkradiant-1.5.0-svn20060624-6