Re: cdbs?? Why?

Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> On Saturday 15 July 2006 08:42, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Jon Dowland wrote:
>> > Whilst we're at it, for svn-buildpackage things, do we go
>> > with mergeOnUpstream or not? It looks like a good idea to
>> > me, but I see jmm dropped it for prboom (not sure why).
>>
>> Please don't! IMO, it obfuscates things, makes managing patches with svn
>> hard to impossible (I'm not that found of dpatch either), and makes it
>> really painfull for users who don't want to use svn-buildpackage for one
>> reason or another.
> If i understand correctly. You dislike the use of a debian/patches directory?

I dislike the mergeOnUpstream mode. debian/patches is widely used and has become
somewhat common practice (be it with dpatch or other patch helpers).

IMO, managing patches is something for the an SCM . Managing patchfiles
with an SCM appears to rather strange. If not using any SCM for tracking
changes in a package, having a debian/patches directory is appropriate
to see the changes done. Since we use a SCM (subversion), I encourage
using it!

Greetings,
	Reinhard