Re: Default fullscreen mode

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:54:06AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> After restarting X yet another time, and having problems finding the
> right switch for prboom, I started wondering if it wouldn't be a good
> idea to decide an env variable that tells games if they should start by
> default in fullscreen or in a window.
>
> Do you think it makes sense,

Of course the real solution is to edit your settings (probably in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, although I'm not sure if SDL uses those) to not use modes
it cannot handle.  But yes, it also makes sense to have a switch.

> and it's worth the effort?

Now that's a different thing.  To support the switch, we'd need to patch all
upstream packages.  That's a lot of work.  It's probably better to set up
general guidelines to do things Right (of which this would be one) and then
submit patches to upstream to follow those guidelines.  In other words, think
big.  The reason is that this is a big project anyway, so you can as well make
it a bit bigger and do _this_ Right as well. ;-)

On the other hand, I don't think many people will follow those guidelines, and
so I don't think it'll succeed (due to lack of adoption).  Over all, I don't
think it's worth the effort.

Thanks,
Bas