Re: [Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu automatic notifications by section/subsection

On 24/07/06, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> I am part of the Debian Games Team and I was wondering if it would be
> possible to get automated notification when a game package is added to
> the Ubuntu repository or when one version of teh Ubuntu package
> superceeds the one of the game package in Debian.

Hi,

This kind of things is quite easy to do using MultiDistroTools[0] (it
would be great if I could find a co-developer for it too), especially if
you have a grep-dctrl expression which matches all your 'interesting'
packages.

If you provide me with one, I can add it to my daily run of
multidistrotools, so the data will show up on
http://tiber.tauware.de/~lucas/versions/
I looked at grep-dctrl man page but it wasn't obvious to me which are
the commands. AFAICT, this should be ok:

-FSection -r '[Gg]ames'

> In a more generic way the questions are:
> - can automated mails be generated (subscribtion needed) when ubuntu
>   packages superceede debian packages (or are there and not here)

Sending mail smells a bit like 20th century ;) What about an RSS feed ?
I personally don't like RSS feeds as they tend to not fit my regular
work pattern and impose internet connectivity to get the checking
done, but others might like them. I personally would prefer email, as
I tend to keep todo lists as  emails.

It would be quite easy to change multidistrotools so that it generates
one, and you feed reader would notify you when one of the package status
changes.

Also, I've recently filed a bug against DDPO, so the ubuntu version
number of the packages are displayed (bug #379063).

[0] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiDistroTools

I don't see any example web stats or something simillar...

EddyP