Re: RFS: Getting gtkradiant into debian

Hi!

* Frits Daalmans <fritsd@wanadoo.nl> [060724 00:07]:

> I've packaged the quake editor gtkradiant (it's on mentors.debian.net)
> it's now linda and lintian clean and works when compiled in a
> pbuilder (all build-deps OK, builds with g++-4.1 etc. and I fixed a
> few simple bugs).
[..]
> PS with gtkradiant it's possible to make working nexuiz maps as well,
> I found out :-)

I just took a look on your package, and I have some questions / remarks
left, before I'll upload it.

1. If I understood the homepage corectly, the version 1.5 you packaged
   is considered to be at a beta state, right?
   Do you know when the stable version 1.5 will be released?
   Do you think, that the beta version is fit to be released within a
   stable Debian released?
   And... if it's a beta and no real 1.5.0, shouldn't it be mentioned in
   the version string? (How does upstream handle that?)

2. Is there any reason, why your package is not yet in our svn
   repository?

3. You explicitly build-depend on a specific compilter version (g++-4.1,
   seems to have come with 1.5.0-4), but nothing in your debian/rules
   shows anything to use the non-default g++... (and actually
   build-depending an g++-4.1 is useless anyway, since it is the default
   compiler)

4. Your copyright contains "GPL: ( except some files contributed by Loki
   Software under BSD license )".  That's a no go.  Please be more
   specific here:  Which files are GPL, which are LGPL, whiche are under
   a "modified BSD" license?  And modified in which way?

   And your "Copyright Holder: Id Software, Inc. and contributors" is
   wrong.  Even if you would add the years and point to the CONTRIBUTORS
   file, it would still be uncomplete.  One example I found
   radiant/plugin.h: Copyright (C) 2001-2006, William Joseph.

   Yeah, creating a proper copyright file sucks and isn't fun at all.
   Especially if you have such a mixed license tarball.  But it is
   important.

   If you install a package, and look at the copyright, you must be able
   to know exactly what you are allowed to do, and what you can't do.

   There are two mails (one from the ftp-masters, who would have
   rejected that package because of the copyright even if I would have
   uploaded it), which explain this issue IMHO very well:
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/12/msg00007.html
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

5. You install gen.readme... uhm... did you took a look at it?  Is it
   worth to be installed and read by users of the binary package?  Same
   for COMPILING (and probably README.doxygen?)

6. I think your debian/README.debian couls be tweaked, too.  For example
   the "How I packaged it" paragraph isn't needed at all (for the users).

   Remark:  Do you know "svn export .../foo"?  Wouldn't that be easier
   than checkout and delete svn-stuff?

7. I'm confused... You mention gtkradiant-data-q4pack in README.debian
   and as recommends, but that package is unknown to the archive.  Do
   you plan to get it in there, too?

8. Similar for gtkradiant-doc.  Mentioned, but not found.

9. If you can edit Nexuiz maps with it, why don't you mention it in the
   package description?  Nexuiz *is* part of Debian, Quake 4 and Doom 3
   are not.  You might even want to consider to set an "Enhances:
   nexuiz".

10. Even if you state in your changelog, that it buils in bpuilder it
    doesn't for me on my powerpc notebook:

=====
dh_installdirs
        install -d debian/gtkradiant
        install -d debian/gtkradiant/usr/games debian/gtkradiant/usr/lib/games/gtkradiant debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant
# Add here commands to install the package into debian/gtkradiant.
# /usr/bin/make install DESTDIR=/tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant
mkdir -p /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/
# mv install /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant
mkdir -p /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/gl
cp setup/data/tools/gl/* /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/gl/
mkdir -p /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/bitmaps
cp setup/data/tools/bitmaps/* /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/bitmaps/
mv install/q3data.x86 /tmp/buildd/gtkradiant-1.5.0/debian/gtkradiant/usr/games/q3data
mv: cannot stat `install/q3data.x86': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
 -> Aborting with an error
 -> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
 -> unmounting proc filesystem
 -> cleaning the build env
    -> removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//7131 and its subdirectories
=====

11. Bonus points for adding some usefull comments to your debian/rules ;)

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander