Re: RFS: Mupen64 -- Nintendo 64 emulator and plugins

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 19:57, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> What's the legal status of the emulator? Does it include any copyrighted
> ROMs or things like that? Patents?

It did contain a lot of nasty stuff -- files with ambiguous copyrights, binary
ROMs (demos), etc., but I removed everything I spotted like that when I
repackaged upstream's source.

> I'd really love to see a N64 emulator in Debian, It just scares me a bit
> that I don't really know what's the legal status of console emulators. Does
> anybody know for sure? Am I just saying nonsense?

I'm also the maintainer for PCSX, a Playstation emulator, so I've gotten
blessings from the ftpmasters and debian-legal for that sort of thing.
Shouldn't be a problem, unless Mupen64 contains some stealth legal issue that
I didn't notice when I repackaged.

--
Ryan Schultz
"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." -- Archimedes