Fwd: Oolite in Debian

For future reference, here is the answer from Oolite's author.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oolite Developer <oolite@aegidian.org>
Date: Apr 8, 2006 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: Oolite in Debian
To: Eddy Petrişor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com>

Hello,

On 8 Apr 2006, at 02:46, Eddy Petrişor wrote:

> You might know that Debian has a policy that favours free software,
> while non-free software can be acceptable if it is legaly
> distributable.
>
> The license of Oolite is thought to be non-free mainly because it does
> not allow distribuition if sold. This might or might not have been (I
> can read minds :-) your  intention, but, still this would mean that
> Oolite would not be a part of the main distribution. This means that
> Oolite could never be a part of an official Debian release, but only
> be a tolerated software.

You are absolutely correct. Oolite's license is not 'free' as defined
by OSI or FSF principles, and this is by design as it is intended
that no-one should profit directly from Oolite.

I've made clear in past discussions that the non-commercial clause in
Oolite's license is non-negotiable.

My only exception to this is that should a developer of free software
wish to incorporate parts of Oolite's code into their work that I
would permit such use, where the resulting product is to be entirely
distinct from Oolite.

I'm happy for Oolite and/or its source code to be distributed as
'tolerated' software.

Sorry to appear 'touchy' about this, but I've had my tolerance for
this matter pushed by one or two free software fanatics and I have no
desire to indulge in any further religious debate.

Yours,

-- Giles.

EddyP