Bits from DPL

Hi,

in May, I was on vacation for a while, partly with unexpectedly weak
internet connection.  Anyway I tried to do some DPL work which I
summarise in these bits.

Meeting policy
--------------

in connection with MiniDebConf Berlin there was some discussion about
what expense per attendee of some in person meeting is OK.  Quoting
Chris Lamb from his "Bits from the DPL (March 2018)"[meet1]:

  Debian is willing to reimburse up to 100 USD for expenses to attend Bug
  Squashing Parties (BSPs). If there are no BSPs near to you, please help
  organise one!

More detailed information about sponsoring Debian events can be found in
Wiki[meet2] which is based on some mail from Jonathan Carter on from
2020[meet3].  I subscribe to what was said before since I consider in
person meetings very important for Debian.

Use of AI-generated content
---------------------------

There was an interesting discussion about policy on use of AI-generated
content in Debian on Debian project list[ai1].  In Tiago's[ai2] summary
of the discussion he stated: "Apparently we are far from a consensus on
an official Debian position regarding the use of generative AI as a
whole in the project."  I've read this thread with much interest but
have nothing more intelligent to say than some well educated
contributors to this thread.  I simply recommend it as some interesting
reading.

Installer
---------

If I would have known that once I'm elected for DPL a dream seems to
come true that chances are really good we get Blends in the
installer[bl1] (bug #186085) I would have run earlier vor DPL. ;-P

Contacting teams
----------------

Despite being mostly on vac I've started to contact some teams and will
continue in June to cover more teams. It is a bit too early to summarize
the responses I've received. Whether I've managed to contact a team yet
or need more time, I'd like to point out that I've registered a BoF for
DebConf24 in Busan with the following description:

  This BoF is an attempt to gather as much as possible teams inside
  Debian to exchange experiences, discuss workflows inside teams, share
  their ways to attract newcomers etc.

  Each participant team should prepare a short description of their work
  and what team roles (“openings”) they have for new contributors. Even
  for delegated teams (membership is less fluid), it would be good to
  present the team, explain what it takes to be a team member, and what
  steps people usually go to end up being invited to participate. Some
  other teams can easily absorb contributions from salsa MRs, and at some
  point people get commit access. Anyway, the point is that we work on the
  idea that the pathway to become a team member becomes more clear from an
  outsider point-of-view.

I'm sure not everybody will be able to travel this distance but it would
be great if you would at least consider joining that BoF remotely.  I'll
care for a somehow TimeZone aware scheduling - if needed we'll organise
two BoFs to match all time zones.  I'm also aware that we have pretty
different teams and it might make sense to do some infrastructure
related BoF with your team and other teams that are caring for Debian
infrastructure.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

[meet1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/03/msg00007.html