Re: BSP Reimbursements

Hi Debianites

On 2019/10/02 16:43, Sam Hartman wrote:
> TL;DR: Do we want BSP organizers to take on the responsibility of
> batching together travel reimbursement requests.
>
> HI.  A while back, I suspended the automatic approval of reimbursement
> for attending BSPs.  You can still ask for approval for attending a
> BSP, you can't just send me a reimbursement request with no approval.
>
> We had a bit of discussion about how things ought to/might work here.
> Holger proposed that it would make more sense for the people running
> BSPs to batch approvals kind of like we do for sprints and
> mini-DebConfs.
>
> If we want to do things that way, no action is required on my part.  I
> am very willing to approve such budgets, and even to amend such budget
> if it looks like more people are coming.  But I do actually want to se
> them ahead of time, just so I know what's going on.
>
> So, if we're generally happy with BSP organizers putting together a
> travel budget and handling who will get reimbursed, then I think the
> next step is to write up how to do that on the wiki.
> I'd appreciate it if someone would volunteer to do that.
> If you get text together, please drop treasurer@debian.org a note aski
ng
> for review (that also reaches me).
>
> Asking BSP organizers to help with this is great from the DPL side.
> The only concern is if it pushes  the effort involved in organizing a
> BSP up too much so people don't want to do it.
>
> If that ends up being the case I'm happy with some sort of automatic
> approval process for DDs attending BSPs (and easy approval for other
> contributors when that makes sense).
> But let's figure out if we want BSP organizers to handle this first.

Not sure exactly what bearing this email still has. As far as I
understand it, this affected the policy of the DPL at the time based on
current circumstances. It was not coded into any policy or in any
procedures.

However, since some feel that the above is still in affect, let me take
this opportunity to state that any implications that the above email had
on reimbursement policy no longer has any effect whatsoever.

Having said that, I actually agree with Sam that we need better policies
around this. Moray and myself are looking at rebooting a local team
support/help/bootstrapping/admin/etc group, which may well be a
delegation, and on top of that, might also take on some responsibilities
for local team budgets and approving certain kinds of expenditures (like
BSPs).

If you're interested in helping shape that, and especially if you're
active in a local team already, then please join our BoF session at
DebConf20:

https://debconf20.debconf.org/talks/50-local-teams/

- -Jonathan, Debian Project Leader

- --
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage
  ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋   https://debian.org | https://jonathancarter.org
  ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀  Debian, the universal operating system.