Misc Developer News (#50)

The news are collected on https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
Please contribute short news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + The Debian Janitor
 + FreedomBox looking for contributors
 + Privacy usertag
 + Bisecting Debian
 + Email address for non-free autobuilding reviews changed
 + Statistical analysis of the Debian GR on systemd

The Debian Janitor
------------------

 The Debian Janitor[1] is a new bot that automatically creates merge
 proposals fixing minor issues in Debian packages that are maintained in
 Git. It can also commit directly if that is requested.

 The bot is designed to be conservative and delight with consistently
 correct fixes instead of proposing possibly incorrect fixes and hoping
 for the best. It is currently being rolled out gradually.

 For more information, see its FAQ[2].

  -- Jelmer Vernooij

 [1] https://jelmer.uk/debian-janitor.html
 [2] https://janitor.debian.net/lintian-fixes/#faq

FreedomBox looking for contributors
-----------------------------------

 FreedomBox - a Debian pure blend server OS designed to be user-friendly
 and privacy-oriented - is looking for new contributors! In April 2019, we
 launched a commercial !FreedomBox product with Olimex. And it went so
 well that we have an influx in requests for new software features. To
 respond to this feedback, we need more developers! Though we can
 currently handle urgent development matters, !FreedomBox has many
 wish-list items which our small team can't always make time for. We need
 help from our friends in Debian!

 Although there are only a few bugs open in BTS, there are over 300 listed
 in the Salsa issue tracker[3]. It may be useful to look in one of the
 beginner[4], Help Wanted[5] or ready for implementation[6] labels.

 Another place to find clearly-defined tasks is the "Contributor Invites"
 category[7] on our forum, which is targeted at new contributors.

 If you have any questions about an issue, feel free to comment on it, or
 discuss with us on #freedombox-dev. We also discuss development ideas on
 our forum in the "Development" category[8].

  -- James Valleroy & the !FreedomBox Team

 [3] https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues
 [4] https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues?label_name%5B%5D=beginner
 [5] https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues?label_name%5B%5D=Help+Wanted
 [6] https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues?label_name%5B%5D=ready+for+implementation
 [7] https://discuss.freedombox.org/c/contributor-invites
 [8] https://discuss.freedombox.org/c/development

Privacy usertag
---------------

 When reporting bugs about privacy issues[9] for software in Debian, you
 can use the privacy[10] usertag, use these pseudo-headers when filing the
 report or the command below for existing bugs that need the usertag added.

 User: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
 Usertags: privacy

 bts user debian-devel@lists.debian.org , usertags 123456 + privacy

  -- Paul Wise

 [9] https://wiki.debian.org/PrivacyIssues
 [10] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-devel@lists.debian.org;tag=privacy

Bisecting Debian
----------------

 If you found a problem in Debian sid that is easily reproducible and need
 to figure out which package introduced the issue, you can use Debian's
 marvellous wayback machine[11], which you can easily use to install old
 packages and chroots. The Debian wayback machine has a JSON based API that
 can be queried to discover information about which package versions were
 introduced on which dates. You can then prepare a git repository with one
 commit for each date you potentially want to test and use git bisect[12]
 to find the exact date that caused the issue. This process is now
 documented[13] in more detail on the wiki. If you would like to help
 improve the process, some options include features in debsnap, additions
 to the snapshot API and creation of an OSTree service for Debian.

  -- Paul Wise

 [11] https://snapshot.debian.org/
 [12] https://manpages.debian.org/git-bisect
 [13] https://wiki.debian.org/BisectDebian

Email address for non-free autobuilding reviews changed

 The email address for non-free autobuilding license reviews has changed
 hosts and moved onto buildd.debian.org. Please review Marking non-free
 packages as auto-buildable[14] in the current version of the Developer's
 Reference to find the new email address.

 Furthermore now is a good time to resend requests that were missed over
 time. If you are interested in helping out with such reviews and are a
 Debian Developer, please let us know at the same email address -
 currently the burden is on a single reviewer.

  -- Philipp Kern

 [14] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#marking-non-free-packages-as-auto-buildable

Statistical analysis of the Debian GR on systemd

 A statistical study of the outcome of the Debian General Resolution
 “Init systems and systemd”[15], voted at the end of 2019, has been
 published[16]. The analysis is based on Exploratory Factorial Analysis
 of the options cast in the ballots and aims at understanding both the
 structure of the choices made by the Debian Developers community and
 how the available options were perceived, in relation to each other.

  -- Rafael Laboissière

 [15] https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002
 [16] https://github.com/rlaboiss/debian-gr-systemd-2019

--