Bits from the DPL (June 2018)

Dear developers,

Greetings from a very sunny London… I am very much looking forward to
seeing many of you next month in (a hot and humid) Taiwan. :)

Here's an overview of what I've been getting up to as your Project Leader
during June 2018:

 * In light of the recent introduction of the EU GDPR [0] I announced the
   creation of the Debian Data Protection team. As outlined in the
   official delegation [1], the two main roles for the team are to
   provide a single contact point for external queries and to act as an
   "advice service" for members of the Project.

   Thank you to Jonathan McDowell (noodles) and Tollef Fog Heen (tfheen)
   for spearheading this initiative. Since its inception it has received
   and handled a number of queries already.

 * I presented at "FOSS Backstage" [2] in Berlin, Germany, speaking about
   both the Reproducible Builds [3] project and the Open Source
   Initiative [4]. In addition, I had a number of interesting
   conversations with Lydia Pintcher from KDE who has invited me to speak
   at Akademy 2018 [5] to speak about cross-distribution collaboration in
   the desktop space.

 * Had a conference call between the Debian Anti-Harrassment team [6],
   the Debian Account Managers [7] and myself as DPL. Thank you all who
   attended and for the various followups.

 * With the help of the Debian Publicity team [8], I provided a press
   quote for the Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) [9] to announce
   their collaboration [10] with the Debian LTS [11] initiative.

 * Had an illuminating conference call with Deb Nicholson from the
   Software Freedom Conservancy [12], Chris Neugebauer of North Bay
   Python [13] and Bdale Garbee (bdale) regarding what "a free software
   conference" now means in practice in 2018, particularly in terms of
   "hygeine factors" around speakers, content, event safety, sponsors,
   etc. and what conferences that projects would be happy associating
   themselves with.

 * After reaching consensus on the debian-project mailing list [14] I
   signed a petition against the new EU copyright review on behalf of
   Debian [15]. I needed to follow-up later in the month as my signature
   got lost.

 [ 0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
 [ 1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/06/msg00000.html
 [ 2] https://foss-backstage.de
 [ 3] https://reproducible-builds.org/
 [ 4] https://opensource.org/
 [ 5] https://akademy.kde.org/2018
 [ 6] https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
 [ 7] https://wiki.debian.org/DAManager
 [ 8] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity
 [ 9] https://www.cip-project.org/
 [10] https://www.cip-project.org/announcement/2018/06/19/civil-infrastructure-platform-announces-collaboration-with-the-debian-lts-initiative-and-welcomes-cybertrust-as-a-new-member
 [11] https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
 [12] https://sfconservancy.org/
 [13] https://northbaypython.org/
 [14] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2018/06/msg00002.html
 [15] https://savecodeshare.eu/

Finances & event reimbursements
===============================

In addition to responding to various follow-ups to previous requests, I:

 * Approved a budget request for bug-squashing party in New York that was
   held on June 24th [16].

 * Approved the purchase of new solid-state disks for three arm64 build
   daemons hosted at Arm [17].

 * DebConf18 [18]: Re-approved the overall budget, responded to some
   safety concerns regarding a bursary applicant, briefly joined a
   conversation thread regarding one of the sources of funding, and
   offered some advice on prepayment of bursaries.

 * Decided on a solution for "leftover" money from DebConf17 [19],
   fleshed out the policy for reimbursements that could not fulfilled due
   to Developer illness, and located many more missing emails for our
   Trusted Organisations [20].

 * Responded to a reimbursement request for LinuxCon, China [21], some
   "NeTV2" video development boards [22], and ensured that the
   participants of the recent Cryptsetup [23] sprint participants were
   reimbursed [24].

 [16] https://hashman.ca/nyc-bsp/
 [17] https://www.arm.com/
 [18] https://debconf18.debconf.org/
 [19] https://debconf17.debconf.org/
 [20] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer/Organizations
 [21] https://www.lfasiallc.com/events/lc3-2018/
 [22] https://www.crowdsupply.com/alphamax/netv2
 [23] https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup
 [24] https://blog.freesources.org/posts/2018/06/debian_cryptsetup_sprint_report/

Other
=====

In addition to all of the above, I spent time on:

 * Further drafting my reply to an interview request from the "LibreSur"
   Argentinian free software community.

 * Redirecting support queries/questions sent to the leader@ alias as
   well as responding to feedback from my previous «Bits from the DPL».

 * Issuing a "DD certificate" [25] for a Debian Maintainer [26].

 * Enqueuing various ideas for "micronews" [27] for approval by the
   Publicity Team [28].

 * A quick discussion with a DD regarding the possible creation of a
   new team.

 [25] https://wiki.debian.org/DDCertificate
 [26] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer
 [27] https://micronews.debian.org/
 [28] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity

Bug Squashing Parties
=====================

The Debian Project is willing to reimburse 100 USD (or equivalent) of
expenses to attend Bug Squashing Parties (BSP) [29]. If there are no BSPs
near to you, please consider organising one [30]. Reimbursement requests
[31] should meet the following conditions:

 * The requester should be a contributor of some description or have
   otherwise demonstrated a commitment to perform that kind of work.

 * The requester agrees to communicate their activities during the event
   (such as posting to Planet Debian [32], etc.). The goal here is to
   motivate others by increasing visibility.

 [29] https://wiki.debian.org/BSP
 [30] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning
 [31] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement
 [32] https://planet.debian.org/

And finally…
============

In case you missed it:

 * Michael Stapelberg is looking for a maintainer for Raspberry Pi
   images. [33]

 * The third alpha release of the Installer was announced by Cyril
   Brulebois (kibi) [34] (as was Debian 8.11 [35]).

 * A brief report from the MiniDebConf in Curitiba [36] was published on
   Planet Debian. [37]

 * Alioth is gone! Long live Alioth... [38]

 [33] https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg//2018/06/03/raspi3-looking-for-maintainer.html
 [34] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/06/msg00005.html
 [35] https://www.debian.org/News/2018/20180623
 [36] https://minidebconf.curitiba.br/en/
 [37] http://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/minidebconf-curitiba-2018-a-brief-report
 [38] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/06/msg00001.html

I would like to repeat my usual request for any feedback and, of course,
any other questions or concerns about the Project that would be
inappropriate or difficult to bring up elsewhere are always welcome too.
Please address them to <leader@debian.org>.

Phew, see you all next month…!

Best wishes,

- --