Misc Developer News (#44)

The news are collected on https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
Please contribute short news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + Future of Debian Live?
 + Listing derivatives on the Debian website?
 + Debian bug tracker accessibility tag
 + Derivatives patches added to the PTS
 + Windows viruses in Debian email packages

Listing derivatives on the Debian website?

 We are seeking[1] feedback about listing derivatives on the Debian
 website, including if we should list some derivatives, which criteria we
 should use to select the listed derivatives and how many should be
 listed. If you have an opinion on this topic, any other suggestions for
 the derivatives page[2] or for linking to it from other parts of the
 website, please reply to the thread[3] on the debian-project[4] mailing
 list.

  -- Stéphane Blondon, Paul Wise

 [1] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/d516db86-a53c-4a98-1fd8-8f97e4018309@gmail.com
 [2] https://www.debian.org/derivatives/
 [3] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/d516db86-a53c-4a98-1fd8-8f97e4018309@gmail.com
 [4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/

Future of Debian Live?
----------------------

 Steve McIntyre is[5] questioning if Debian Live has a future and calling
 for help with testing and developing the Debian Live images. If people do
 not show up to help, then he will disable building live images altogether
 and the only option for using Debian will be to install it before using
 it.

  -- Paul Wise

 [5] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20170626140821.noixwidcadj4rphr@einval.com

Windows viruses in Debian email packages

 Sometimes[6] upstreams of email related packages include live Windows
 viruses/malware in their test corpus, either by accident or on purpose,
 with or without removing infection/transmission mechanisms. Due to the
 large amount of anti-spam and anti-malware services monitoring the
 Internet, this can lead to debian.org mirrors getting flagged and
 reducing the reputation of debian.org in those services as well as source
 packages getting blocked by the content-scanning firewalls that some
 networks operate. If your package is email related and includes a test
 corpus, please scan it for viruses/malware. I've added support to
 check-all-the-things for doing this using clamdscan or you can run it:

 clamdscan --fdpass --infected --no-summary

  -- Paul Wise

 [6] https://bugs.debian.org/864800

Debian bug tracker accessibility tag
------------------------------------

 The Debian bug tracker has added the `a11y` tag[7] for tracking
 accessibility issues. Please use it whenever you file an accessibility
 issue or add it whenever you find an old bug report about an
 accessibility issue. Debian's accessibility efforts are documented on the
 website[8] and the wiki[9].

  -- Paul Wise

 [7] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#tags
 [8] https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/
 [9] https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility-devel

Derivatives patches added to the PTS
------------------------------------

 The Debian PTS has added the links to patches[10] from the Debian
 derivatives represented in the derivatives census[11]. The patches are
 generated[12] using the sources from the Debian wayback machine[13] so as
 to minimise diffs as much as possible. Help[14] from developers with
 Python and Django experience is needed to port this work from the PTS to
 the Debian Package Tracker[15]. More help with all of Debian's derivative
 related efforts is needed too.

  -- Paul Wise

 [10] http://deriv.debian.net/patches/
 [11] https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census