Bits from the DPL (July 2017)

Dear fellow developers,

Greetings from Montreal, Canada! It is great to see so many friendly faces at
DebCamp and I'm looking forward to seeing more of you arrive soon... Anyway,
here's what I've been getting up to as your DPL during July:

GNOME advisory board
====================

I represented Debian on a Gnome Advisory Board [0] in Manchester as part of
GUADEC 2017 [1].

I shared some of the specific concerns I had encouraged from the Debian Gnome
team, but amongst the board we also shared some insights about onboarding new
users, particulary with regards to ensuring that new developers that initially
contribute as part of programmes such as Outreachy and GSOC do not remain or,
worse, feel "siloed" within those sub-community.

 [0] https://wiki.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard
 [1] https://2017.guadec.org/

Diolinux interview
==================

I was interviewed for the Brazilian "Diolinux" blog about Debian [2], which was
then subsequently posted in English on "Debian Brasil" [3].

 [2] http://www.diolinux.com.br/2017/07/entrevistamos-chris-lamb-atual-lider-do-Debian.html
 [3] http://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/an-interview-with-chris-lamb-the-current-debian-project-leader

Debian on pre-installed hardware
================================

Continuing from last month I've also persuing the talks with respect getting
Debian as a branded and fully-supported distribution on bits of consumer
laptops and desktops.

Whilst Debian obviously runs on almost any laptop, packaging the entire
experience together goes a long way to attracting new users, positioning Debian
as not a distro "really only  for super stable servers" or other such tired
memes.

(As part of these conversations, Pogo Linux [4] almost immediately started
offering Debian as at least a pre-installed option. More to come, hopefully.)

Most of the talks involving some form of discount for Debian Developers too,
adding to our growing list of member benefits [5]. If there are any other
firms who would like to be part of such discussions, please do get in touch.

Each discussion is in a different state at the moment but I'm excited about the
progress being made. Am definitely looking forward to point to the concrete
results.

 [4] http://www.pogolinux.com/
 [5] https://wiki.debian.org/MemberBenefits

New Debian Developers
=====================

It was great to read about yet more Debian Developers being added to the
keyring. As part of this, I've been continuing my tradition of welcoming them
personally to our family and posting them some goodies.

Stickers for DebConf17
======================

As part of the preparations for DebConf17, I arranged for some Debian stickers
to be shipped to Montreal in case laptops (or any other surface) are absent a
Debian logo. They should appear in your "goodie bag" once the Front Desk is
up and running.

Thanks to Unixstickers [6].

 [6] https://www.unixstickers.com/

Expenses
========

I also pre-approved and evaluated a large number of travel and other expenses,
including:

 * Reproducible Builds hackathon in Hamburg

 * Alioth replacement sprint

 * Various VAT and customs fees

 * Digital-Born Media Carnival in Montenegro & Prishtina

 * Potentially sending students to Greece / FOSSCamp

 * Cryptoparty (Tirana)

Reimbursement for BSPs
======================

Don't forget that Debian is willing to reimburse up to USD 100 or
equivalent in your local currency for travel/accommodation expenses
[7]. If there are no BSPs local to you [8], please help organise
one!

Reimbursement requests must meet the following conditions:

 * The requester must already be a Debian contributor (and preferably
   have demonstrated an ability to contribute to this kind of work).

 * The requester should agree to communicate about their activities
   during the BSP (for example in a blog post or similar). The goal
   being to increase the visibility of such work.

 [7] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement
 [8] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning

Misc
====

In addition to the above, I spent time on:

 * Working on getting DSA access to the debian.eu domain.

 * Responding to some BTS queries that had been elevated to leader@.

 * Redirecting a lot (!) of post-release private support queries from
   leader@ to a more suitable venue.

 * Moderating /r/debian [9].

 * Participating in a discussion regarding selling Debian media on Amazon.

 * Forwarding an enquiry for a free-software related Chinese translation.

 * Responding privately to some contributors regarding poor conduct on our
   mailing lists, highlighting how unproductive and demotivating those
   behaviours can be to all involved.

 * Drafting slides for my DebConf17 talks.

 * Finally, a huge amount of time was taken with private correspondence and
   thoughts regarding two internal team conflicts.

 [9] https://reddit.com/r/debian

Announcements
=============

In case you have missed them, please check out:

 * We now have a Policy 4.0.0 [10].

 * Status update from the Reproducible Builds project [11].

 * DebConf17 schedule [12].

 [10] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/07/msg00001.html
 [11] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/07/msg00004.html
 [12] https://debconf17.debconf.org/schedule/

See you next month!

Regards,

- --
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb, Debian Project Leader
     `. `'`      lamby@debian.org / chris-lamb.co.uk
       `-