Re: new release process (package pool) being proposed

[isn't cross-posting threads to -private contrasensual? can we
kill this one? If we can't, please cut the cc to -devel-annouce]

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 02:00:07AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Lalo Martins wrote:
> > > I'm formally proposing the release process that we have been
> > > discussing for over a year, known as ``package pool'', for
> > > discussion and voting. The discussion will take place on
> > > debian-project. Anyone interested should follow this.
> >
> > I object. If this is going to happen it should be proposed by the
> > ftpmaster-team. Unless they are willing to implement and support it any
> > proposal is useless. I suggest you talk to them first and see if you
> > can work on a joint proposal.

Huh? Are you serious? The ftpmasters are delegates, not
authorities. Well, anything I could say, Joey said better.

> Therefore the *project* needs to decide if it wants to change the
> current situation and what should be done instead.  The ftpmasters
> are excetutives who cannot decide on general project issues.  Only
> the project itself (by a vote) or the project leader (by his fiat)
> can do that.

And this isn't a purely-technical decision, it affects the
project as a whole. So it would be completely backwards (as in,
opposed to the Debian Way) to make this a decision of the
ftpmasters.

I maintain the proposal.

[]s,
                                               |alo