Re: maildirmake

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:12:04 +1000 (EST)
Matthew Palmer <mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au> wrote:
> Capable of handling, yes, but then, so is cat.  <g>  Once delivered, though,
> there's no way of getting it back out again unless you're running something
> like courier or similar.

Or Mutt, or a halfdozen other MUAs. :)

> My logic was that, from the basic system, Maildir mailboxes are no use.
> Things like courier make Maildir useful, so that's where the maildirmake
> script should live.  It *might* make sense to put it in exim where people
> can run it to make their mailboxes, but since the delivery is useless
> without other programs to post-process, I'm still not won over on the
> idea...

Well, it's a standard format, and it's a trivial shell script. The
options are either including maildirmake(1) in each and every MUA that
understands Maildir formats (understanding here that imapds perform
many/most functions traditionally assigned to an MUA), and having them
all either Conflicts: with one another or using alternatives.

Given how simple it is, makes more sense to have it in one place. I
don't know where it should be (in all the MTAs?), but there you go :)