Re: maildirmake

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, David B Harris wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:46:48 +1000 (EST)
> Matthew Palmer <mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 anobo@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > > Now I'm wondering about it even more.  IMHO `maildirmake' is _very_
> > > necessary for any mail and as it seems to be only a 2-line-shell-script
> > > why it isn't included anywhere and anyway in the base-system?
> >
> > As I recall, maildirmake is only needed if you are running Maildir-based
> > MDAs, which Debian does not by default[1].  That is enough of a reason not
> > to ship it in the base system, regardless of whether it's a two line shell
> > script or not.
> >
> > [1] Arguments as to whether Debian should do this or not should be directed
> > to /dev/null.
>
> Exim is capable of handling Maildir mailboxes. It's Priority: important.
> I don't know if that counts as "shipping it by default" or not, but I
> would certainly say that it's the closest thing around.

Capable of handling, yes, but then, so is cat.  <g>  Once delivered, though,
there's no way of getting it back out again unless you're running something
like courier or similar.

My logic was that, from the basic system, Maildir mailboxes are no use.
Things like courier make Maildir useful, so that's where the maildirmake
script should live.  It *might* make sense to put it in exim where people
can run it to make their mailboxes, but since the delivery is useless
without other programs to post-process, I'm still not won over on the
idea...

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16