Re: maildirmake

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:12:04PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, David B Harris wrote:
>
> > Exim is capable of handling Maildir mailboxes. It's Priority: important.
> > I don't know if that counts as "shipping it by default" or not, but I
> > would certainly say that it's the closest thing around.
>
> Capable of handling, yes, but then, so is cat.  <g>  Once delivered, though,
> there's no way of getting it back out again unless you're running something
> like courier or similar.

Or most modern local MUAs... after all, most folks don't read their mbox
with cat, either (though it's equally possible).

> My logic was that, from the basic system, Maildir mailboxes are no use.
> Things like courier make Maildir useful, so that's where the maildirmake
> script should live.  It *might* make sense to put it in exim where people
> can run it to make their mailboxes, but since the delivery is useless
> without other programs to post-process, I'm still not won over on the
> idea...

It is, to within a close order, as useful as mbox mail delivery; however,
it probably isn't worthy of it's own package, and having multiple MTAs (or
MUAs) provide it makes little sense, really... perhaps it belongs in one of
the "general utility" packages?
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>