Re: Every spam is sacred

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 03:58:47PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> For every potential false positive that you might miss because of
> Debian eventually using the DSBL, I have to receive, download and
> handle 1999 spam messages, which means 10Mb of spam (the average
> spam message is a little more than 5K).

How many emails does master handle in one day? Probably several thousand.
That adds up to several false positives per day. Also, your estimate of 50%
spam is too high IMHO. If you take a 70/30 split, you get one false positive
per 900 emails. Finally, as pointed out earlier, only 40% of measured spam
actually came from one of the listed servers. So of that 10Mb you're going
to be downloading 6Mb of it anyway.

> To me, *that* is unacceptable, but fortunately there is a
> recipients_reject_except variable in exim. Assuming you will not ask
> to be taken out of this variable, do you have anything against me not
> being in it? Or are you so anti-DSBL that you believe I should be
> *forced* to receive and handle so much crap?

I think the point is he doesn't beleive *Debian* should be doing the
filtering. You are completely free to do it yourself, you are not completely
free to use somebody else's resources to do it. You may ofcourse ask nicely
(that's what this thread is all about, right?)