Re: help: disabling relinking stupidity in libtool

Scott James Remnant wrote:
Is libtool picking up the OLD (/usr/lib) version of the library, rather
than the version in DESTDIR, and relinking the application with it (and
that old version's dependant library)?

Correct. If the original library was not installed, it wouldn't be a problem. But alas, I'm not going to make the library Build-Conflict itself. As of the latest version of the debian/rules for gimp1.3, I'm using DESTDIR instead of prefix, which (from what I've seen on the list) should theoretically make things better, but it doesn't really make any difference except for certain brain-dead upstream Makefile issues. Before the latest version, I was just able to copy by hand the one library that was dependent on another GIMP library. However, because of a bug that was reported against the Debian package (funny how that works, eh?), upstream has made the libraries even more interdependent on each other, making a manual copy much uglier (and something I'd rather not do anymore).

It's a libtool feature[0].

I have a proposed-fix for this, will throw it your way as soon as I've
caught up with the recent libtool bugs.

Were you the one that proposed changing fakeroot to deal with libtool screwage? I remember reading a thread on debian-devel about that a while back, but nothing really happened with it.