Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

* Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> [030505 17:01]:
> I was taking the sysadmin's point of view.  And from that perspective,
> since I don't need RO /, nor do I think having a few state files in
> /etc is that bad, you are solving a non-problem with something that
> is yet-another-directory-in-/-which-I-don't-need.  (/opt is another)

Gee, I'm taking the sysadmin's point of view also. And I definitly have
problems with state files in /etc. It only makes backups of the
configuration more complex without any need for doing so. The same with
supervision of changes in it. A RO / might also be a worthy goal
for some corner cases. (People are using things like ext3 to avoid
problems with power-downs, why having a log for a filesystem not
intended to change?)

Things tend to change. A change to more sane values is in my eyes a
good thing. I think third party scripts calling /etc/sendmail to send
mail or reading /etc/wtmp for loges in users have to be changed.
So will other things in the future, too, that currently break the
semantics of the directories.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.