Re: Severity level for Binary Independent Packages

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:39:43AM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>
>>      What is the correct severity for a FTBFS a bug in a binary
>> independent package?  I seem to remember the release manager expressing
>> the opinion the such a bug is not release critical.
>
> Do I read this correctly:

> test -f  Dictionary -a -f debian/rules
> cat Dictionary debian/Dictionary.debian|\
> /usr/bin/dictfmt -f -u http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/Dictionary.gz\
> -s "The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (12 Sep 2002)" foldoc
>        800 headwords
> 8-bit head word "Association Française des Utilisateurs d'Unix"is encountered while "C" locale is used
> make: *** [stamp-build] Error 1
>
> that the build process for this package downloads a file via HTTP for use in
> the build?

    No, you don't read it correctly.  The -f option for dictfmt
provides the url that is inserted in the "00-database-url" header in
the .dict file.  The database from which the package is built is
shipped in the package.

     The problem is due to a recent change in the behavior of dictfmt.
It will be fixed, probably in a new version, which I expect to prepare
within this month, although I haven't yet decided how I will fix it.
(Various RL problems prevent me from acting as expeditiously as I
would like.)

     My question was not specifically about this bug, but a general
question regarding packages that will never be built by the
autobuilders.

Regards,

Bob
--