Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

Hi,

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 04:18:43AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 09:03:09PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > I do have some new ideas I'm working on though.  I should go through all
> > those packages I found that mess with resolv.conf and see just exactly what
> > they are doing and why.
>
> most of them require update to the current name servers. Since this is a
> feature, which may also be wanted for running programs, I guess one of the
> solutions could be to use a ipc shared memory segment. That way scripts can
> change it without writing to a file and applications may be modified at
> runtime. Of course sysv shared memory is a ugly beast and not all systems
> may support it, but other things like kernel support may be harder to get.
> Definitely this needs to be resolved by libc folk.

Before you go down that road, have you looked at the suggestion of
keeping the communication of nameservers file-based, but only solving
the contention for the single /etc/resolv.conf? It's been implemented
too, see Thomas Hood's resolvconf package.

I think a file-based mechanism where the admin can *see* what's going on
without stracing is much better than other mechanisms of IPC, wherever
it's efficient enough. Considering the rate at which nameservers change,
I'd say writing to files and calling a script to notify things (such as
your local caching-only server) of the update is definitely good enough.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl