Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 02:40, John Hasler wrote:
> It might be helpful for you to post restatements of your proposals.
> The discussion is quite long and the proposals seem to have
> evolved (which is fine).

I have created a new rudimentary web page at
    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/readonly-root.html

Information about the proposals is available via the README link.

> Pppconfig is fixed in cvs to follow symlinks and not write to /etc.
> I have not uploaded yet because I want to do some testing (there
> are other changes).

This is good news.

BTW, I have some new ideas about how to implement variable
resolver configuration while retaining backward compatibility.
However, I should take a look at what you have already implemented
before bothering you.

> dhcp3-client and pppoeconf also overwrite /etc/resolv.conf.  Can anyone
> suggest a method whereby I could locate all packages that write to
> /etc/resolv.conf?  I'm sure there are more.

As a start you might look at the contents of
/usr/share/selinux/policy/default/
(package: selinux-policy-default).

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>