Re: Detecting "default browser"?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:23:52 -0600
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:19:09AM +0100, Xavier Roche wrote:
> > >Alternatives are made for that. /usr/sbin/www-browser
> > >The x-www-browser alternative.
> > >This is exactly what sensible-browser(1) is for.
> >
> > Okay, seems that sensible-browser is the solution (and this script
> > calls the alternative script if no BROWSER env var found)
>
> Which is nice, but largely undocumented.  What newbie, or for that
> matter, experienced Unix admin is going to think to look for
> "sensible-browser"? Heck, I've been using Debian since 1996 and this
> is the first *I've* heard of it.
>
> It would be nice to have control center modules in both KDE and Gnome
> helping to set this.

If you're referring to sensible-browser specifically, then there is no
need for a user or an admin to know about it. It's explicitly for Debian
Developers. sensible-browser is like sensible-editor; it takes
information from a bunch of (well-known) sources, and then makes a
decision.

Those "control center modules" should do nothing more than set the
environment variable $BROWSER. Feel free to write them :)