Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 07:49:22AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 05:38, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Providing such a guarantee is the point of standardizing on /run (and
> > leaving the implementation details -- physical vs. in-memory -- to the
> > local admin).
>
> If a consensus is emerging that /run is needed, what's the next
> step?  Amending policy to allow for the directory (currently
> forbidden by FHS)?

I intend to send a message out to the FHS mailing list, in the hopes of
eliciting some feedback from them.  As others have noted, they seem to
have an approach similar to that of our own policy editors -- "implement
first, then we'll talk" -- but I'd rather make sure they don't consider
/run so abominable that it would never be accepted before we get started.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer