Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:21:53PM -0500, Chad Miller wrote:

> In the last six months or so, the freeradius upstream has made a much
> better attempt at progress towards a stable version.  There's still no
> release manager, and "too many cooks in the kitchen," but it's getting
> better.

> Will freeradius be ready when Sarge releases?  I don't know.  Many people
> (especially of the programmer mindset) are using freeradius CVS very
> well, with no or few problems.  I'm not sure that the average "user"
> could, though, especially if he tried to do all that freeradius claims to
> be able to do.

> In any case, I'm not satisfied that it's ready to be in at the moment.
> Since "willing to support" is ultimately a function of the qualities of
> the maintainer, I'm willing to step aside if someone else thinks it's
> ready for Sarge and is willing to support it.  If not, I'll continue
> marching with upstream's slow plod toward "stable" and reinsert it into
> Sid when it's ready.

I had a conversation on IRC a couple weeks ago about the lack of
radiusd-freeradius packages, with yet another Debian developer who was
using freeradius in the wild.  Since ISTRT system administration is
purportedly the second most common occupation of DDs, and we have at
least four DDs following the development in some capacity (this
freeradius user makes five), my feeling is that we ought to put our
heads together, stop maintaining our own private binaries, and get some
packages out there (even unofficially) to save on duplication of effort.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer