Re: more non-PIC static libs in shared libs

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 02:58:09PM +0100, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 06:18:14PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > In that case a linker (version) map is all you need.  Search for
> > VERSION in the ld documentation.  If you don't need to actually version
> > anything, you can just do:
> >
> > {
> >   global:
> >     list; of; exported; functions;
> >   local:
> >     *
> > }
> >
> > and then use -Wl,--version-script,FILENAME at link time.  This is a
> > good idea for any shared library anyway.
>
> Thanks, that got me a little further.  Alas not far enough.  The lib
> still shows a TEXTREL flag, even if I (just for testing) force all its
> symbols to local in the version map.  Is there a way to query the linker
> about why it set that flag?  I've had it print out the link map and run
> in verbose mode, but that didn't give me any clues (which might well be
> due to my lack of understanding).

Woah, the version maps are for a completely different issue than
TEXTREL.
  Is this library being compiled -fPIC or not?
  Does this library contain hand assembly or not?
  What are the relocations against?  readelf -r can show you the
contents of .rel.text.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz