Re: *term -ls, a summary

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:39:23AM +0200, Manfred Wassmann wrote:
> I am fully aware of that distinction, that is why I wan't (and do) have my
> xterms started with -ls.  All I want is *one* option in *one* place for
> all desktop environments/window-managers/terminal-emulators to set this
> behaviour.

Manfred, I understand your feelings but these (environments,
window-managers, terminal-emulators) are different issues and shall be
addressed differently.

environments:
* through PAM if it works.
 - There was good discussion on this approach and current limits.

* through xinit or one of the "xdm"s
 - I hope you paid attention to my post tin this thread to add script as
   /etc/X11/Xsession.d/00xfree86-common_environment.  This ensures user
   specific environment only for X which is common to startx and xdm
   under default set-up (we all know we can set up $HOME/.xsession to do
   arbitrary customization but that is different subject.)
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-ss-xsu

  I think starting login-shell for every xterm invocation is bad.  All
  login shall be done when xdm allow you to "login".  Above approach
  ensures custom environment by $HOME/.xenvironment.

window-managers:
* use update-alternatives to set proper /usr/bin/x-session-manager and
  /usr/bin/x-window-manager symlinks (or uninastall x-session-manager).

terminal-emulators:
* use update-alternatives to set proper /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator.

> The current situation really sucks.

I felt same way until I found amicable solution described above :)

Starting xterm with "login" is wrong approach since environment for
"login" should have been done by "xdm".

> We have more than a dozen terminal emulators and about the same amount
> of window managers/desktop environments and you have to configure each
> of them separately. And every time you start a different one you are
> stuck with that bloody default.

Again, if xdm (gdm, kdm, ...) start with proper environment, this should
not have been an issue.
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.