Re: DebConf 2 post-mortem

* Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> [020709 20:32]:
> - Housing in general was less than satisfactory.  I realize this is a
> dorm, and the price was right (particularly after multiplying by 2/3),
> but I found the conditions to be bordering on squalid.

Then you could have easily paid more than twice as much on a hotel room.
I checked.  Nevermind the need for transport (rented car?) at that
point.  Some cities aren't cheap.  The YorkU rooms were a steal.

> particularly since the only feasible alternatives were on-campus
> ripoff dining facilities.

Hahahaha.  You've never been to a university in the US with outsourced
food to only one company (aramark) who sucks more than any fast food
joint you can think of.  The local york situation was *very* good
compared to other places I've been to.  It could have been better (more
close food independantly ran), but it was much better than I expected.

I believe the stuff in York Lanes was defiantely independantly ran.

> locations that are convenient for "tourist stuff," not university
> campuses in outer suburbia.)

Yes, and then we run into the 'charging a fee' bit and paying 2-4x for
hotel costs.  A few minutes on the subway and bus didn't kill me.

Of course, lets say we did it in a place like Minneapolis, you run into
the issues of less actual public transit and less to do in the area, but
not as expensive in the housing sense compared to huge cities.

> - Would it be more practical to hitch DebConf to other developer
> events?  For example, should we organize a "Debian track" at OLS

I don't want this.  I think that having a conference like this seperate
really lets some of us spend some real face time with other developers
outside of the talks.

When hitched to OLS or something, it could be much less actual developer
to developer time.

> - Should we establish a DebConf committee/mailing list that is

sure.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/