Re: DebConf 2 post-mortem

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 21:32, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> if we're going to hold
> conferences in cities with tourist potential, we probably should pick
> locations that are convenient for "tourist stuff," not university
> campuses in outer suburbia.)

I'd like to mention something here which people may not be aware of: I
didn't pick York, they picked us. It's a trite phrase but it's true;
without the York University Computer Club it's very, very likely that
Debconf 2 in Toronto would not have happened, and Debconf 2 (anywhere)
may not have been run at all. They offered York, and nobody else did
anything. (That seems to be the key to getting just about anything done
these days - it falls to those who will do it, not what would be best.
If you think things could have been done better you'd better be willing
to do something to make it so. Most people are pretty good armchair
organizers, but ask them to do anything and somehow they find better
things to do with their time.)

It's because people like Alex, Dave and Sabira did all the running
around for us that Debconf happened at all. Don't look a gift horse in
the mouth.

As for the people complaining about the state of their rooms: did you
know that Hospitality York runs like a hotel? You could have called them
and they would have sent cleaning staff, I'll wager.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

"This particular group of cats is mostly self-herding." -- Bdale Garbee