Re: * Policy on *-dev packages

> I noticed that what constitutes a "development environment" isn't very clear
> in policy section 11.3

> I think there should be a clarification of what a development environment is,
> preferably in a note. My position is that all interface files should be
> included in the -dev package, and they should be configured for operating
> with language processors in Debian if necessary.

> Do you think such a small addition would be useful?

Maybe it would be not un-useful.  I've been bothered by the lack of
definition here, too.  It ought not to be too specific, and limit the package
developers (I am not one, so my opinion is a little suspect), but it should
be reasonable.

I've always thought that a "dev" package would contain everything required to
compile its associated package that is not required in order to use the
package normally.  Doing some quick checks (dpkg -L libc6-dev) showed me that
this isn't the case.  I'm seeing symbolic links in /usr/lib to libraries in
/lib (shouldn't those symlinks be in libc6?)..

It's not immediately obvious to me what a -dev package is supposed to do.

On thought, though, "development environment" seems quite clear, and my
poking around a few -dev packages fit in with that, with possibly a few
inconsistencies due to individual package maintainers.

I don't see it as needing to be changed, upon reflection.  Anything more
detailed than that ought to go into a packaging guide (hrm.  Any Debian
package maintainers thinking of approaching O'Reilly Press?).

--
Rob Bos, rbos@{sandwich.net,linux.com}, expert on everything and everyone

"Dance as if no one is watching.  Love like you've never been hurt.
 Sing as if no one is listening.  Live like it's heaven on Earth."
      -- William Pukey