Re: Best practices for kernel patches?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 07:30:10AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I have started work on packaging a kernel patch, and I've run into an issue
> that I'm sure that others have dealt with already.
>
> Should kernel-patch packages contain diffs against the official kernel, or
> against the patched Debian sources?

IMHO the best option is to not package them at all.  Kernel-patch packages
were originally devised to allow us to maintain kernel packages for
multiple architectures as the upstream kernel doesn't work out of the
box on all of them.

It still doesn't, yet we're now using kernel-patch packages for every single
patch out there.  This is not what it was designed for and that is why
you're finding all these problems.