Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 02:18:32PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Daniel Stone wrote:
> > It's packaged differently. Very differently. Web pages no longer go
> > (directly) to /var/www, CGI scripts no longer go to /usr/lib/cgi-bin (at
> > all), logs don't go to /var/log/apache2.
>
> I don't care why you did this, it is a violation of Debian policy
> and it means all existing packages that install CGIs or webpages
> will not work with apache2.

It doesn't violate Debian policy, because Debian policy doesn't mention
virtual hosts. We use virtual hosts, we don't just have the one site.
This was a conscious decision made; there is currently no support in
Debian for virtual hosts, and it needs to be supported.

If you scrolled down further, you'd see that apache2 doesn't provide any
of the webserver packages. (It doesn't conflict with apache, mind, as it
was designed to, and does, work side-by-side).

> Why not change things to have /var/www and /usr/lib/cgi-bin as locations
> for the default virtual host and allow the admin to specify the location
> for other hosts? That fits the FHS (and LSB) which explicitly leave
> that up to the admin.

Because then you could go http://the.host.name/other.host.name/cgi-bin,
and see the CGI scripts for that particular host?

Anything else?

-d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>