Re: Lintian and Build-Depends (was Re: A question about update-excuses)

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 12:03:58PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I don't see that as required since Build-Depends won't change that often
> and you can get them right the first time if you use this information :
> http://buildd.debian.org/andrea/i386/source-dependencies-unstable.gz

I looked into source-dependencies-unstable.gz and have a question.
For my gnome-utils package it states

    gnome-utils: ACMGL, flex, ...

and later on

    abbrev ACMGL = autoconf, automake, m4, gettext, libtool

Does this mean, that gnome-utils should have a build dependency on
automake?  I don't think that this should be the case, because
I do not run automake from the rules file.  Even if I would change
a Makefile.am, the corresponing changes to Makefile.in would be
included in the diff file.  So still no need for automake in the
Build-Depends.  The same argument seems to hold for autoconf, gettext
and libtool.

And I don't understand the m4 entry at all.  Almost no package uses
m4 directly, but only as part of autoconf.  So m4 should not be
necessary, even if autoconf is.

So my question is: what is this ACMGL thing for?  May it be savely
ignored?

Jochen
--
                                         Omm