Re: connman does not respect /etc/network/interfaces when upgrading from buster to bullseye and more general considerations

Am 23.09.21 um 20:17 schrieb Holger Wansing:

I have just installed an LXDE system to test this, and now adding
network-manager-gnome, installs 24 new packages, taking 39 MB of additional
disk space, according to the apt-get output
I might consider splitting off network-manager's /usr/share/locale into an (optional, Recommends/Suggests) network-manager-l10n package. The locales take up about 8,5 MB of disk space. While I don't necessarily think that 8,5 MB are actually that much of an issue for desktop installations, trimming down the on disk footprint might make network-manager more suitable for more constrained environments.

There is also a (somewhat stale) MR [1] for network-manager asking for the individual plugins to be split into separate packages to make it possible to trim down the dependency chain.

If there is real demand for it, we could revisit that.

Michael

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team/network-manager/-/merge_requests/4