connman does not respect /etc/network/interfaces when upgrading from buster to bullseye and more general considerations

Hi,

I'd like to draw the attention of debian-devel to the problem below
(reported ad bug #994875) which breaks certain systems on upgrades.

As I described in bug #988696 which boils down to my last message to
this bug report where I wrote "No idea how to configure network easily
after fresh lxde install."  This means:  Even an experienced user like
me does not obviously find easy access to a very important feature of a
fresh installation to login to a network.

My reason to bring this up on debian devel is that I have the feeling
that while we provide lots of different desktops in dedicated images the
general QA how useful these might be is left to the maintainers of this
desktop who probably have a focussed view and do not realise what
hurdles newcomers might need to take.

My other point is that we here have another case where the freedom of
choice of tools to use leads to non-default behaviour.  I simply assumed
that network-manager would be some kind of default and if it would be
used in lxde task those two problems would not have happened.  So my
suggestion is to propose some set of default tools for every desktop
environment we are providing and network configuration should be part of
it.  (I admit I also had trouble with wicd which until some point of
time was installed as default with xfce4 installer media - no idea
whether this is the case any more - my arguing would be the same here.)

Kind regards

     Andreas.

PS: I also CCed debian-desktop list.  If you feel the discussion
    should happen there please CC me since I'm not subscribed to
    that list.

--
http://fam-tille.de