Re: Policy on software used to create desktop theme?

Hi,

Le mercredi 26 octobre 2016, 17:22:20 CEST Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> On 26/10/16 at 16:06 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>
> On 26/10/16 at 16:14 +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> > We don't ban software that hasn't been done with free software entirely,
> > and I don't think it'd be wise, or even tractable, to impose such a rule.
> I think that the root question is not whether proprietary software was
> used to create that work (some DDs probably use proprietary text editors
> to edit files in debian/), but whether we are bound to proprietary
> software to modify the (free) software we produce.
>
> I see that some of those contributions are only provided in
> Illustrator's format[0]. can they be edited (and exported) using
> Inkscape? (I tried to open them, and the 'debian' text didn't look right
> -- but maybe I'm missing (free?) fonts?)

I’ve worked with Juliette on the integration of her Lines theme for Jessie and
she happily provided the SVG source for all the elements. I’ve already asked
for the missing SVG for Stretch / Soft Waves theme [1], please give her a
little time !
For Jessie / Lines IIRC we replaced the text in the initial proposal with the
official logo from [2] to ensure we don’t end with unclear license or plain non-
free elements.

> So, to put it differently, I'm curious if SVG is a suitable format for
> modification of that artwork,

Yes it is.

> and what are its "build-dependencies".

For what I’ve done, the few bitmap produced for Lines (grub, plymouth
backgrounds) were exported from Inkscape.
rsvg-convert is also an option although it’s not currently used in an
automated way.

> Having a requirement that submitted artworks must be in a source format
> that is suitable for modification, under a free license, and with
> available software in Debian to serve as build-dependencies to convert it
> to the "final" format, would sound like a reasonable requirement for
> Buster, and in line with what we do for other kinds of software.

As a desktop-base committer I’m willing to enforce that rule for Stretch, as
was done for Jessie.
It should definitely be made clearer in the call for proposals but I never had
any problems getting the actual source from the artists in a form suitable to
be modified and maintained only with free software.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/2016/10/msg00024.html
[2] https://www.debian.org/logos/

Cheers,
--Aurélien