Re: A new user experience for Jessy ?

Hello everyone,

Nice to hear about those ideas! I was working on a packaging helper to fill a gap I saw on Wheezy: the gap between the package maintainer and the folks building the awesome artwork.

What I believe that will work is something along the lines described here: https://bitbucket.org/ronoaldo/desktop-theme-util/wiki/Home It is just a proposal, and some experimental scripts to apply the theme at system/user level. Feedback welcome!

The scripts violates some of the Debian packaging polices, and needs some refactor, but is usefull for testing the theme packages. A packaged sample theme is available here: https://bitbucket.org/ronoaldo/desktop-theme-growing

Some of the ideas on https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/StructureThemePackage are really nice, but there is some discussion on debian-devel about some overhead if the packages are too small. I will suggest building a tool to help getting one artwork and make it be a theme package source. Then we can try out with splitting binaries as suggested by Valessio.

After some good feedback on the tool described on my experiments, I'll start writting some code. I just want to make sure the workflow will really help the designers to start with an image and experiment it as a installable theme package.

I'm cc'ing Ulrich, wich helped me to build and test the desktop-theme-growing package draft, maybe we can resume the work?

happy hacking!