Re: "desktop-base" for wheezy+1

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:28:14AM +0200, Ulrich Hansen wrote:

> Am 12.07.2012 um 01:15 schrieb Paul Tagliamonte:
> >> IMHO it's a good idea to use common alternatives. In our experimental theme package, gdm3, kdm, grub-theme, plymouth and the gnome-lockscreen use the same picture, provided by the alternative "desktop-login". So, in the wheezy+1 vision, which package would be in charge of that alternative?
> >>

> > alternatives can be added by many packages, just btw
>
> But all of these many packages would have to agree on which alternatives they all want to use together. So there is communication needed.
>
> > Joe-bob works for Foocorp, which uses "nihde" as their DE. "nihde" can
> > run apps as "widgits", and the theme they wrote for their installs
> > happens to have a theme that uses "xblerg". The theme is so brilliant
> > they want to share it with all Debian users, so they upload it.
> >
> > Now, the situation:
> >
> > Does theme-foocorp depend on xblerg? Remember, by default Debian doesn't
> > use nihde, so we don't need it for most cases. If we assure xblerg
> > (which happens to be 1.4 gigs of glorious userspace) is on the system in
> > the one big megapackage, it screws a lot of installs with a huge useless
> > app. If we don't it causes breakage.
> >
> > With my solution, the answer is clear. As is, there is no good answer.
>
> You are talking about depends. But IMHO desktop-base does a good job to keep depends small. For instance plymouth: Although desktop-base installs a plymouth theme, it doesn't depend on plymouth or plymouth-drm.

OK, I have thought of a solution. This is what happens when I'm up early
with not much to do.

So, here's a compromise.

We use my way. We go with a fractured setup for the metapackages. We use
my virtual packages and paperwork.

However:

A single binary package may provide more then one package. This would
let a single theme "define" what themes it provides, as well as satisfy
my crazy.

This would let us break something out if we needed to, but for saneish
setups keep it all in one package. In joebob's case, we create
theme-foocorp-nihdm and provide it there, along with it's *correct*
deps.

"Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"

OK, let's resolve this :)

Cheers,
 Paul

--