Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

Le vendredi 22 juin 2012 10:16:17 Franz Gratzer a écrit :
> On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 22:29 -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > Again, if you want to take this over, please do. If you don't please
> > let me do my work without being harassed as if I'm some dictator.
>
> Hi Paul, I just want to add, that I didn't intend to make you personally
> responsible for the way it went. (Especially after I have red your
> replies. I didn't see them before I wrote my feedback to your yesterday
> announcement.)
>
> I'm very happy, that you decided to step in to get at least one default
> theme done before the next freeze.
>
> I myself didn't see the request for someone to take over the organizing
> for a vote. (Maybe it was posted before I joined the desktop list.)
>
> It's a very long time until we get close to an other Debian version.
> Even if I want to help out next time, I'm unable to plan this long
> ahead.
>
> Therefore I can't tell if I will be available then. I just know we need
> to improve the process for developers as well as for designers. We as
> group should be able to learn from our experiences.
>
> If I was aware that there was nobody to care for an in time voting I
> might have been able to step in, but I didn't know.
>
> For sure we could prevent something like this by just putting a note on
> the wiki page for the collection of the theme proposals at least if the
> originally responsible team member is leaving. This way we at least
> would know, that things can't turn out the way they were supposed to if
> nobody steps in...
>
> Anyway, I'm on Ulrich's side, if it comes to a public vote. Especially
> because he claims to be able to get everything done in time
> nevertheless.

I can totally understand the frustration of aeveryone here. If it comes to a
vote (public or not), be sure that I will accept the result, whatever it is. I
don't want to be an element of misunderstanding or disfonction of the desktop
choose process.

> I think his proposals have set a new level concerning quality and
> completeness. Therefore he was my role model for doing proposals and I
> even used some of his files to get my proposals done. So I think we
> should allow him to do, what he has offered to do...
>
> Best
> Franz

The material of the theme has been uploaded and shared on the wiki page :
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Joy (see bottom)

I'm aware that my works are "only a bunch of pictures" (adding more
frustration for those who did the effort to make packages). But I didn't wanted
to package them by myself for Gnome/Gdm, KDE/KDM... I though I'll get some
time to do it after the selection, and polish the final render of packages.

I guess once the desktop-base package is in testing, we'll have some time to
integrate the Joy theme as far as possible, with the best look. It is only a
bunch of picture, but I will continue my work to help all packagers to do
their best job.

In one word, I never intended to submit wallpapers and have a rest while
packagers are working.

Adrien