Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 04:56:20PM -0400, Worrier Poet wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 04:08 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > Howdy, desktop,
> >
> > As many of you know, we're tragically close to freeze. As a result, the
> > usual process of voting, debating and picking a theme via consensus is
> > not really possible. There was also a distinct lack of interest in such
> > a process, as well.
> >
> > I've taken it upon myself to start getting desktop-base into shape for
> > wheezy.
> >
> > I've picked the "Joy"[1] theme by Adrien Aubourg as the default
> > for Debian 7.0, which features a tasteful, understated and classic
> > look, something that both identifies as Debian while still maintaining
> > an air of professionalism.
> >
> > Congrats, and thank you Adrien!
> >
> > I'd like to thank everyone who submited artwork, and express how
> > impressed I am with the artistic talent we have in Debian.
> >
> > I'd like to also give high honors to the "Roj"[2] theme, as well as the
> > "7th Element"[3] theme. If there was more time before freeze, I'd love to
> > have seen a working mockup of 7th Element. I don't think anyone will
> > argue that 7th Element had one of the most jaw-dropping and impressive
> > login designs I've ever seen.
> >
> > The plan for wheezy is as follows:
> >
> >  * I've pushed changes to desktop-base to SVN.
> >
> >  * Once I give it some finial polish, I will target an upload to experimental,
> >    where it will (hopefully) recieve some testing, feedback and patches.
> >
> >  * Once it's in good shape, or directly before freeze, an upload to
> >    unstable will be targeted.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  - Paul
> >
> > [1]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Joy
> > [2]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Roj
> > [3]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/7th-element
>
> I'm a latecomer here, but I have to tell you that I think your choice
> for the default is a terrific one. I liked the much busier (and
> often-maligned) space-fun theme for Squeeze, too. But this is just about
> as classy as it can be.
>
> I looked over the various themes posted, and I have to agree with you
> that our contributors were very gifted. I hope they know how much a
> community like this appreciates their efforts.
>
> Any chance of having alternates from this list available through
> debian-alternatives?

It's not my intent to package all of the fantastic themes posted, any
package (not just desktop-base) can provide alternatives -- packaging
the other themes would be a great thing to do!

We're close to freeze, so if someone's interested, you have to make it
through the NEW queue :)