Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:11:57PM +0200, Vincent Blut wrote:
>    Le 21/06/2012 22:08, Paul Tagliamonte a écrit :
>
>  Howdy, desktop,
>
>  As many of you know, we're tragically close to freeze. As a result, the
>  usual process of voting, debating and picking a theme via consensus is
>  not really possible. There was also a distinct lack of interest in such
>  a process, as well.
>
>  I've taken it upon myself to start getting desktop-base into shape for
>  wheezy.
>
>  I've picked the "Joy"[1] theme by Adrien Aubourg as the default
>  for Debian 7.0, which features a tasteful, understated and classic
>  look, something that both identifies as Debian while still maintaining
>  an air of professionalism.
>
>  Congrats, and thank you Adrien!
>
>  I'd like to thank everyone who submited artwork, and express how
>  impressed I am with the artistic talent we have in Debian.
>
>  I'd like to also give high honors to the "Roj"[2] theme, as well as the
>  "7th Element"[3] theme. If there was more time before freeze, I'd love to
>  have seen a working mockup of 7th Element. I don't think anyone will
>  argue that 7th Element had one of the most jaw-dropping and impressive
>  login designs I've ever seen.
>
>  The plan for wheezy is as follows:
>
>   * I've pushed changes to desktop-base to SVN.
>
>   * Once I give it some finial polish, I will target an upload to experimental,
>     where it will (hopefully) recieve some testing, feedback and patches.
>
>   * Once it's in good shape, or directly before freeze, an upload to
>     unstable will be targeted.
>
>  Cheers,
>   - Paul
>
>  [1]: [1]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Joy
>  [2]: [2]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Roj
>  [3]: [3]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/7th-element
>

>    Hi,
>
>    Very good choice, however as there are many proposals in the Joy theme,
>    which one
>    will be the default?

A great question :)

I didn't want to make huge sweeping changes, given that this process is
not going to be "standard", so I've gone with the blue theme.

I took a screenshot last night before I pushed to svn, you can see it on
imgur[1] :)

I'm thinking of using the ink-splat as the default background, and the
plain swirl in other places, and the unbranded grandiant (or perhaps the
logo moved to a corner?) for the login screens.

Cheers,
 Paul

[1]: http://i.imgur.com/wUDiy.png