Re: theme proposal - LightSpotsOnBlueIce

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 18:30:57 you wrote:
> Am 24.03.2012 um 16:23 schrieb Andreas Berger:
> > i hope it's ok to post this here, i added a theme proposal to the wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/LightSpotsOnBlueIce
>
> Of course it is OK. It's great to see more and more proposals.
>
> Two technical remarks:
>
> 1. Artworks that are distributed with Debian are not allowed to use the
> Debian Open Logo (Swirl and the word "debian" in the "Poppl Laudatio
> Condensed" font).  This would violate the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
> But they can use the Swirl alone. And they can use the swirl with the word
> "debian", if "debian" is written in a different font. See requirements.

thanks for noticing! i changed the logo to the one with the alternative font
(see other thread)

> 2. The wallpaper is supposed to be ONE picture that works for all
> resolutions. So maybe it would be better to design it in 16:9 format and
> let Gnome crop it. To make things easier I have made these files:
> http://lazybrowndog.net/debian/wheezy/crop-tool.png
> http://lazybrowndog.net/debian/wheezy/crop-tool.xcf

the short answer is:
it's pretty much the same whether i use a 16:9 that will crop at the sides for
a 16:10 screen or use a 16:10 image that will crop at top and bottom for a
16:9 screen.

the slightly longer answer with my (almost moot) rationale is:
consider screens with aspect ratios of 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, and occasionally 5:4:
a 16:9 wallpaper will be cropped a bit on the sides for 16:10 and a lot on the
sides for 4:3.
a 16:10 wallpaper will be cropped a bit on the sides for 4:3 and a bit on top
and bottom for 16:9.
the latter seems more balanced to me, because the maximum possible loss of
area is smaller, and thus it won't seem overly 'zoomed in' at any resolution.
either way, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

regards,
andreas